After a long season marked by the tragic injury to and a , will take the Xcel Energy Center ice tonight in the state tournament.
The Red Knights will play Edina at 8 p.m. in arguably the most talked about game of the first round. Many in the hockey community figure that BSM will be the sentimental favorite of the tournament because of Jablonski, the sophomore who sustained a serious spinal cord injury in a game on Dec. 30.
Here, then, is a quick preview of tonight's big game:
- Venue: Xcel Energy Center (199 West Kellogg Blvd., Saint Paul)
- Tickets: Limited number available beginning at 5 p.m. for two-game night session; $17 adults, $11 students
- TV: KSTC-TV
- Web streaming: Prep45.com
- More info: MSHSL website
On the Ice
BSM Key Players
- Grant Besse, junior forward: Besse tallied 40 goals and 35 assists in the regular season. Those 75 points were the fourth most in the state.
- Jake Horton, senior defenseman: While not a leading scorer for BSM, Horton is a key member of the defense and a team leader. Has recent big-game experience, leading the Red Knights to a .
- Justin Quale, junior goalie: Quale rotated in net with Anders Jecha all season, but seemed to take the reins during the section playoffs. He started all three games, allowing only one goal in that span. He will be tested by Edina and, if BSM advances, other dynamic offenses in the tournament.
Edina Key Players
- Connor Hurley, sophomore forward: Led the Hornets with 22 goals and 26 assists during the regular season.
- Dylan Malmquist, freshman forward: Another Edina young gun, Malmquist had 23 goals and 21 assists this year.
- Andy Jordahl, junior forward: A more seasoned Edina player, Jordahl had six goals and 20 assists this year.
- BSM state tourney appearances (counting 2012): 4
- Last state title: 2001 (while in Class A)
- Edina state tourney appearances: 23
- Last state title: 2010
- Last BSM/Edina match-up: Jan. 2011 (Edina won, 5-4)