Editor's Note: Today is the last in a series of bios on the candidates for District 46 seats. These races will be decided during the General Election on Nov. 6. Today, we look at John Swanson, the Republican challenger in House District 46A.
District: House District 46A
Political Experience: Has not run before
Occupation: Retired computer systems executive
Education: University of Illinois
Family: Married to wife Sherry, with two sons, and a daughter who passed away 10 years ago
- Swanson said he believes strongly in public education. "I'm basically running for the kids." Along with his wife, Swanson started a learning center in Minneapolis for inner-city youth about five years ago. He said he wants to use his experience to help find ways to spend money more efficiently in the classroom.
- Along the education lines, Swanson said he thinks it's important that parents be kept better informed of how their children are doing. Swanson also said he wants better pay and support for teachers.
- Swanson supports the voter photo ID amendment. "We've had some very close elections. We need citizens to be confident that their vote counts."
- From his work experience, Swanson said he understands budgeting well. He said he'd focus on spending money "wisely."
- Swanson said he wants to bring residents of 46A together, as Plymouth is new to the district after redistricting. "I want to represent all the people of the district."