If you listened to the Oct. 18 debate between Democratic Rep. Keith Ellison and Republican challenger Chris Fields, your mouth probably dropped open about 30 minutes in.
The discussion of issues became a tense and frankly embarrassing exchange between the two men.
Minnesota Patch sites in the Fifth Congressional District—Edina, Fridley, Golden Valley, Hopkins, Richfield, Southwest Minneapolis and St. Louis Park—sponsored the debate, along with KFAI (90.3 or 106.7) and Mature Voices MN.
At one point, KFAI News Director Dale Connelly cut the audio feed in the studio while he literally stepped between the arguing men.
The tension of that moment became one of the most read story of the year on St. Louis Park Patch. Several stories about the Ellison/Fields race were popular this year.
Here are the stories we ran on the subject in 2012:
- Ellison on Election: 'We Won an Argument'
- UPDATED: Keith Ellison Wins Re-Election Bid
- Updated: Chris Fields Says Rep. Keith Ellison Ducked Tuesday’s Debate
- Fields Tries to Leverage Debate Outburst into Fundraising
- Fields: 'Keith Ellison Proved He Cannot Deliver'
- What Happened in KFAI Studio During Keith Ellison-Chris Fields Debate Fracas
- AUDIO: Hear the Low Points of Thursday's Fractious Ellison-Fields Debate
- Ellison: 'I Acted Beneath My Personal Standard'
- REPLAY: Rep. Keith Ellison's Name-Calling Gets Vulgar in Angry Debate
- What Thursday’s 5th District Debate Told Us About the Candidates
- Dirty Politics? Republican Cries Foul in Race for Congress Against Keith Ellison
- 5th District Candidate Responds To Accusations in City Pages