.

H2Uh-Oh

Ever wonder what to do if liquid has been spilled on your iPhone, iPad or Laptop? There are some key things you can do to give your device a fighting chance and save it.

Multiple times a week we come across liquid damaged iPhones, iPads and laptops. During all of these cases we always ask one very important question: “What did you do right after it happened?” Unfortunately the answer is often not the one we hope for if we are to have the best chance at saving your device. So we thought this week’s blog post would be a good opportunity to express to everyone what you should do if liquid gets on any of your devices.

Some people put it in a bag of rice to help take the moisture away... That helps, but it won’t resolve the problem (the liquid is only a part of the problem, when the liquid evaporates it leaves nasty little gremlins which will work on destroying your device - may take a minute, could take a few weeks or more).

Below is a list of the steps you should take as soon as the incident happens.

1. Don’t turn it on. Powering on the device can shorts out the circuits, making our liquid damage treatment harder to perform successfully.

2. If it was on when it got wet, turn it off. Turn it off in the quickest way possible by holding the power button down on an iPhone or iPad. If it's a laptop, take out the battery if you have access to it, or if not just power the computer off in the normal way.

3. If it’s a MacBook, turn it upside down and keep it upside down - do this immediately after the damage.

4. Bring it to us as soon as possible. The quicker we can perform a liquid damage treatment, the better the chance that we have to save your device.

These few steps will often provide the best results. If you have any questions please feel free to call us at 203-531-5720 and we can advise you further.

This post is contributed by a community member. The views expressed in this blog are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Patch Media Corporation. Everyone is welcome to submit a post to Patch. If you'd like to post a blog, go here to get started.

holly gilbert July 19, 2012 at 01:01 PM
What if can't get to you, who charges an arm and a leg! Take all cards out and battery. Then the hairdryer, but what if we don't have one handy?
MacInspires July 19, 2012 at 04:18 PM
Hi Holly, liquid damage treatment always costs less than replacing the actual parts. We welcome anyone to come in and talk about what a liquid damage treatment entails. Most companies will just replace the parts, but we use a treatment process that revives the damaged areas. We really appreciate the do it your self initiative, however with our experience and tools we suggest you bring it to us.
Siwanoy July 19, 2012 at 06:12 PM
1) Turn off the device 2) remove the battery 3) with a clean lint free soft cloth wipe away any water droplets carefully 4) use a hair dryer on the low setting to blow out any remaining droplets, if you don't have a hair dryer handy, a fan works well, if you don't have access to either... have someone drive a car while you hold it outside the car to air dry (obviously as a last resort) 5) with a clean lint free soft cloth wipe away any water droplets carefully 6) leave the device off, with the battery removed in a tupperware or ziplock bag with rice to remove any other moisture you couldn't get to 7) Leave it there for 24 hours, or longer depending on how wet it was (i really dont know the time to wetness ratio, i've only done it twice and both times 24 hours worked well enough 8) if your religious, say a little prayer 9) after ensuring everything is dry, put it back together, cross your fingers and power it on hope that helps!

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »