With students heading back to school, the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office is urging motorists to use extra caution and parents to remind their children of safety tips.
In a recent e-newsletter, the sheriff's office said anyone behind the wheel should drive attentively and watch for children on sidewalks, along roadways, and at all crosswalks and intersections:
* Reduce speeds in and around school zones.
* You might consider changing your route in order to avoid school bus traffic.
* Take extra time to look for kids at intersections, on medians, and curbs.
* Be prepared to stop for the school bus.
* Enter and exit driveways, parking lots, and alleys slowly and carefully.
* Do not engage in distracted driving. Put down the phone and focus on driving.