St. Louis Park is getting a new street—sort of.
At the request of , 25 1/2 Street West—which is located just north of the synagogue—will be renamed Barry Street West, in honor of donors Charles and Melanie Barry (namesakes of the Barry Family Campus at the ).
City Council approved the change unanimously at a meeting last week, and new signage is expected to be up in about a month.
This name change got us thinking about St. Louis Park street names in general, which got us thinking about something fun—trivia! Check out our 10 questions on SLP street names, then post your answers in the comments below.
- What was the original name of Excelsior Boulevard?
- Which local street was named after a book about a Civil War battle?
- What was the original name of Louisiana Avenue?
- What does Minnetonka mean?
- Before a street name ordinance in 1933 cleared things up, there five separate instances of what street in St. Louis Park?
- Joppa is a Biblical name of a city in which modern-day country?
- Before Highway 169 was designated as a highway, it was an avenue with what name?
- What two streets combine to form the name of a local park, neighborhood, bowling alley and shopping center?
- Mayor Rufus R. Rand requested and received what street name in 1931?
- A name and ownership change at a local car dealership resulted in what St. Louis Park street name?